One of the most noticeable parts of your body is your hair. When you meet someone, other than your face and smile, one would always notice your hair. Its social function is mainly the reason why you need to take care of your hair. How you wear your crowning glory reflects your lifestyle, hygiene, and even your health.
Among the most common problems of women, even men, are dry hair and greasy hair. These are indications of damaged or unhealthy hair. If our skin is dry, it is oftentimes caused by dehydration. Same with our hair, its drying is showing that the scalp is not hydrated, meaning no oil is produced or not enough to give its radiance.
What is dry hair?
Your hair becomes dry when your scalp does not make an adequate amount of oil for hair moisturization. Its shine and brilliance are reduced which makes it look dull, brittle, and frizzy. Luster and sheen are signs of healthy hair and scalp. This link is a good read explaining more about this topic: https://www.healthline.com/health/dry-hair.
Causes of dry hair
There are a lot of factors that would cause your hair to dry. Here are some of the most common causes:
Incorrect practices on hair care:
- Dying, hair color, chemical treatments
- Blow-drying regularly
- Using electric curlers or straighteners, curling irons
- Washing very often
- Using styling products, shampoos, and conditioners that are too strong.
Natural or environmental conditions:
- Hot or dry climate
- Swimming often in salt water or chlorinated water
- Spending a lot of time under the sun
- Dry scalp
- Health problems or conditions such as anorexia nervosa (eating disorder), hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, and Menkes syndrome.
Once you have determined the factors that cause dry hair, and if you have diagnosed its symptoms, you will have to find ways on how to fix or cure it. Since we are referring to its dryness, most of the time, professionals would recommend dry shampoos. Unless it has become a serious issue, then visiting your dermatologist or hair and scalp experts would be the best course of action.
What is greasy hair?
Opposite of dry hair is greasy hair. It is when your scalp excessively produces natural oils that make your hair too glossy and oily. Some shampoos and conditioners are too strong that would tend to reduce or even remove the hair’s sebum, causing dryness and even the loss of hair. However, the feeling of greasiness is also not an option. This is the reason why we need to discuss both types of hair damage to understand better how dry shampoos work.
We would not want to stop washing our hair with wet shampoo and conditioner because our hair will become too greasy, but we also do not want to our hair too greasy and so we would need the help of dry shampoos.
What is dry shampoo?
This kind of shampoo is specifically used for greasy hair. It has a starch component or alcohol that helps absorb and eliminate sebum, the natural oil produced by the scalp (as mentioned as well earlier) making the hair look greasy or oily after a day, two days or more of no washing. Best dry shampoo brands, like Keranique, offer several hair products to resolve this hair problem. It usually comes in as a powder or a spray-on.
How dry shampoo works?
Dry shampoo, as it was named, can be applied to your hair even if it is dry. It is generally applied or sprayed on the head’s crown and areas where oils may be visibly collected. It does not need to be washed out like your conditioners and shampoos.
Aside from reducing the unattractive greasy hair, it also helps in cleaning your hair, retaining its fresh look. Here are the steps in using this hair product the right way, without causing further damage to your greasy hair:
- Make sure your hair is dry (not wet)
- Spray your hair, over the crown and not the scalp, but it should be six (6) inches away.
- Spray only the areas that are greasy or oily.
- Massage your scalp so to evenly distribute it, perfectly blended, reaching the roots.
- Do not use daily for a week, but just two days in a row.
Watch this video showing a demo on how to use dry shampoo.
Benefits of Using Dry Shampoo
Imagine yourself in a situation or a place where you are unable to take a bath, like when you are on a long trip. Oil will build up and your hair will look greasy. It is not a pleasing sight and so, these spray-ins and leave-on products will come in handy.
- Absorbs grease or oil from the hair.
- Adds volume to hair roots.
- Keeps the hair look clean during the daytime.
- Removes visible flakes and dirt.
- Saves time, faster hair styling without getting your hair wet.
- When doing an updo, it keeps hair pins/bobby pins in place.
- Delivers nutrients to your hair.
- Gives fresher look after a workout or exercise.
What to Avoid in a Dry Shampoo?
- Too heavy or strong formula – if your hair is not too damaged, practically fine, and is still a virgin from dye and treatment, opt for the lighter formula.
- Sogginess or dampness – if you feel this after using dry shampoo, then you should try another formula that would best fit you.
- Gunky buildup or residue – it should not leave anything behind once applied, so be sure that it absorbs quickly and completely.
- An unpleasant smell – some people respond differently to some fragrances. If applied and it does not suit your sense of smell, then you should look for a better-smelling scent.
Other Ways to Fix Greasy Hair
- Natural oil remedies – Apple cider vinegar can control the scalp’s oil production by helping in restoring your scalp’s pH. Tea tree oil, on the other hand, can help cleanse the scalp and holds antifungal properties.
- Diet and lifestyle change – Eating food rich in Vitamin B2 and B6 can help reduce your sebum production. This would also mean you should cut out greasy or oily foods and eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Switching up your combs and brushes – Using the right brush can help in removing and distributing some of the hair oils so your hair roots will appear less greasy.
- Lemon juice and aloe vera – when mixed, the mixture will act as an astringent which helps in sebum production control and would also make softer hair.
Over the years, shampoos, conditioners, leave-on products have improved with the contents, scents, and functions which are also particular for different hair types. Dry shampoos also came along and have been making an extraordinary impact on women’s and men’s hair care.
After reading through this article, make sure to always check the right dry shampoo product for your hair type. If it is necessary to consult a hair expert or even a dermatologist, do so to avoid getting your hair more damaged.
Having dry hair or greasy hair should not be the end of your confidence. Maintain a good hair care habit and use only the trusted products suitable for you.
Read Also: Hottest Long Hairstyles For Men