2012 LA Auto Show Green and Advanced Technology Ride & Drive to Preview Latest In-car Innovations and Fuel-efficient Vehicles
LOS ANGELES, CA - November 19, 2012 – The Los Angeles Auto Show announced today that its media-only Ride & Drive will expand this year to present not only fuel-efficient vehicles, but also vehicles featuring the most advanced in-car technologies. Approximately 25 vehicles from 12 manufacturers will be featured in the new Green and Advanced Technology Ride & Drive representing the leading edge of automotive innovation today. The event represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity for media to experience back-to-back drives from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29 on both city streets and in closed-course demonstrations.
The participating vehicles represent the latest evolutions of electric, hybrid, clean diesel and fuel cell, while the latest driver assist platforms to be featured include systems such as front crash mitigation, adaptive cruise control, radar-based object detection systems, blind spot monitoring and more. Some of the vehicles on display are so new or in such limited production that the Ride & Drive provides a truly exclusive opportunity for a hands-on experience.
Participating vehicles at the time of press include:
- Acura ILX Hybrid, featuring a 1.5 liter four-cylinder hybrid gasoline engine complemented by an electric motor.
- Chevrolet Volt, the top-selling plug-in electric vehicle in the U.S., which also features a range-extending internal combustion engine.
- Fiat 500e, the 100 percent electric version of the recently re-introduced micro-car classic equipped with a 100 hp equivalent electric motor.
- Fisker Karma, the first luxury EV, featuring an electric motor delivering 959 ft. lbs. of torque paired with a range-extending four-cylinder engine.
- Honda will show multiple vehicles including the all-new, more upscale and premium2013 Civic sedan; Fit EV, the all-electric battery version of the Fit subcompact which achieves 118 MPGe; the all-new, completely redesigned Accord with LaneWatch lane assist technology, Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW); and the Accord Plug-in Hybrid, a PHEV version of the popular Accord model that targets 110 MPGe.
- Mercedes-Benz GL 350 BlueTec, a clean diesel SUV also equipped with Collision Prevention Assist, radar-based active controls for avoiding accidents.
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV, an all-electric subcompact hatchback that has earned 112 MPGe rating.
- Nissan Leaf, a 100 percent electric vehicle that also features the Carwings smartphone app to activate controls including remote activation of battery charging and climate controls.
- Smart EV all-electric micro-car, which has received a 50 percent power boost with improved Li-ion battery technology.
- Subaru Outback with Eyesight, which uses a dash-mounted camera to deliver driver assist features such as adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.
- Toyota will feature four vehicles including its all-electric RAV4, a groundbreaking electric vehicle at 76 MPGe that is the result of a collaboration with Tesla Motors; the new 40 MPG Avalon hybrid featuring a 2.5 liter four-cylinder internal combustion engine paired with two electric motors; the Prius Plug-in, a next-generation hybrid that allows all-electric driving at speeds up to 60 mph and advanced safety technology including a Pre-Collision System; and the FCHV-adv, a fuel cell hybridconcept vehicle demonstrating breakthrough hydrogen cell technology that can take a vehicle over 500 miles on a single fill-up.
- Volkswagen’s latest, including the new 2013 Jetta Hybrid featuring a turbocharged 1.4 liter four-cylinder engine paired with a 27 hp electric motor and an “electric-only” mode; the torquey clean diesel 2013 Beetle TDI equipped with a 2.0 liter turbo-diesel engine, and demonstrating one of the latest biofuel advancements,Volkswagen Passat TDI powered by Solazyme renewable diesel.
The event is sponsored by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and Nielsen Automotive. On the morning of the Ride & Drive, Nielsen Automotive will announce the winner of the second annual Nielsen Automotive Green Marketer of the Year Award. The award measures the most effective green marketer and will focus on understanding which auto brand raised awareness and changed perceptions around environmental issues most effectively.
About the Los Angeles Auto Show:
As the first major North American auto show of the season, the 2012 LA Auto Show will host some of the industry’s most important new vehicle debuts and set the tone for the rest of the year. The dates are Nov. 28 and 29 for press and Nov. 30 – Dec. 9 for the public. Advance registration is now closed. Following Press Days, the show becomes one of the best attended public auto shows in the world. For more info visit LAAutoShow.com
Source: Los Angeles Auto Show
Logo credit to: Source: Los Angeles Auto Show
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 – The Los Angeles Auto Show announced today that more than 40 vehicles are anticipated to debut at the Show during the 2012 Press Days, held Nov. 28-29. With four and a half months until the Show, it is noteworthy that at least 20 world debuts have already been confirmed by automakers. This breaking news, as well as other automotive trends, will be unveiled to a global audience consisting of media from more than 50 countries.
The debut lineup this year also promises a compelling mix of the hottest trends and cutting-edge innovations driving today’s resurgent automotive industry, including world firsts from Chevrolet as well as European automakers such as BMW, Fiat and Volkswagen. Show-goers also will see global unveilings of new designs from Asian brands, including models from Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan and Toyota.
Green and alternative fuel technologies, such as hybrids and all-electric vehicles, will be featured in several world debuts at the Show. There also will be an increasing number of high-mileage internal combustion vehicles, including clean diesel, on display. Additionally, several automakers will unveil emerging technologies that are dramatically changing the modern driving experience and making it safer.
These technology-laden vehicles will share the media spotlight with a well-represented lineup of luxury and performance models underscoring the L.A. region’s status as the largest market for these segments in the country. Of the 40 debuts slated, at least a dozen will come from these two categories, including unveilings from the likes of Acura, Bentley, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover and Porsche.
“As the first major North American show of the season, L.A. sets the tone for 2013 and we expect that automakers will pull out all the stops to excite new-car buyers. In virtually every category from the greenest electric vehicle to high-horsepower performance models, the technological advancements we are seeing today eclipse all previous automotive eras,” said Andy Fuzesi, general manager, L.A. Auto Show.
With California established as a global center for alternative fuel and advanced technology innovations, it should come as no surprise that the L.A. Auto Show will be a prime venue for breaking news on all the latest developments. The entirely new Automotive Technology Showcase, presented by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, is a Press Days expo designed to connect automotive technology companies with automakers, media, analysts, and other potential customers and partners. It will serve as a one-stop dedicated showcase covering advancements such as digital speech recognition, accident avoidance technology, navigation systems, real-time traffic data and solutions designed to mitigate distracted driving concerns.
Supporting the Showcase will be an expanded Ride and Drive called the Green & Advanced Technology Ride and Drive. This Press Days’ event will include both “green” vehicles as well as those featuring in-car advancements such as automatic park assist, radar-based object detection systems and driver assist technologies. The Show’s “green” credibility is further sustained with the Green Car Journal’s annual Green Car of the Year®and Nielsen Automotive Green Marketer of the Year awards.
To read our coverage from last year Los Angeles Auto Show 2011 visit http://diversitynewsmagazine.com/2011/11/los-angeles-mayor-antonio-villaraigosa-attends-and-speaks-at-la-auto-show-2011/
About the Los Angeles Auto Show:
As the first major North American auto show of the season, the 2012 L.A. Auto Show will host some of the industry’s most important new vehicle debuts and set the tone for the rest of the year. The dates are Nov. 28 and 29 for press and Nov. 30-Dec. 9 for the public. Media registration opens in September. Following Press Days, the show becomes one of the best attended public auto shows in the world. To receive the latest show news and information, follow the L.A. Auto Show on Twitter, visit the Facebook page and sign up for alerts at LAAutoShow.com.
Sources: Los Angeles Auto Show, Rogers Finn Partners
Logo graphic credit to: Los Angeles Auto Show
On Wednesday, August 3, 2011 The Los Angeles Auto Show announced that it anticipates more than 50 vehicles will debut at the 2011 Press Days, held Nov. 16 and 17.
With still four months until show time, 17 significant world debuts and a similar number of North American debuts are already confirmed and more will be announced shortly.
Coming off the momentum of the 2010 show and historic evolutions in the industry, the LA Auto Show continues to expand its role as a leading showcase for fuel-efficient vehicles including electric vehicles and other ground-breaking, alternative fuel technologies. The show also continues to highlight innovations in design, luxury, performance as well as forward-looking technology.
Underscoring the appeal of the show, all brands represented at last year’s event are returning, with a significant number of manufacturers upgrading exhibit spaces and adding enhanced features with more interactive content and experiences.
“The message this year is very clear,” said Andy Fuzesi, general manager, LA Auto Show. “The automotive industry is gaining momentum and the LA Show is an important venue for manufacturers to launch the innovations that are leading the way.”
Debuts are coming from automakers around the globe as dramatic shifts within the industry begin to stabilize and the North American marketplace recovers. The result is a significant number of new products that continue to shape the future of mobility. Ford alone will feature three world debuts, General Motors will unveil two and Fiat, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Volkswagen will also show important world premieres. Hyundai has already publically announced two world premieres including the Elantra Coupe, which expands its product lineup into the competitive compact coupe segment and the Azera which rounds out its near-luxury segment.
Numerous world premieres by luxury marques are also highly anticipated this year, including the Infiniti JX Crossover (2013) which is an all-new, seven-seat, mid-sized crossover that is more fuel efficient than its current seven seat option. Other global debuts are confirmed by Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and Lincoln.
Slated North American debuts are also stoking speculation and promise some surprises, including several North American vehicle debuts from Audi. Also, BMW will make the first stateside showing of its new BMW i concept vehicles. These two all-new vehicles – the BMW i3 and i8 – will feature electric and range-extender IC/electric propulsion and will be the first two vehicles from the company’s innovative new brand of sustainable vehicles. Mazda will show its CX-5 compact crossover, which is an all-new SUV featuring the company’s SKYACTIV powertrain and chassis technologies, while Volvo will debut a ground-breaking concept vehicle.
The LA Auto Show is already recognized as a show that delivers the latest in environmentally conscious vehicles. Green news has become an expected feature with the annual Green Car of the Year® award, the Green Car Ride and Drive and the Nielsen Automotive Green Marketer of the Year award. However, at this year’s show it is also expected that there will be an increase in compelling stories regarding new developments in advanced technology including remote vehicle control, in-vehicle data services, networked entertainment systems, autonomous driving controls and more.
About the Los Angeles Auto Show
As the first major North American auto show of the season, the 2011 LA Auto Show will host some of the industry’s most important new vehicle debuts and set the tone for the rest of the year. The dates are Nov. 16 and 17 for press and Nov. 18-27 for the public. Media registration opens September 13. Following Press Days, the show becomes one of the best attended public auto shows in the world. To receive the latest show news and information, follow the LA Auto Show on Twitter, visit the Facebook page and sign up for alerts at LAAutoShow.com.
Source: LA Auto Show
Photo credit: LA Auto Show