Stadium to the Sea course will be lined with more than 600 cheerleaders, 25 live bands, and four entertainment centers—plus all the water and nutritional fuel it takes to get 25,000 runners across the finish line
LOS ANGELES, CA, March 6, 2014 – The more than 25,000 runners taking part in this Sunday’s sold-out ASICS LA Marathon will not have to rely solely on the support of their friends and family to get them across the finish line after 26.2 miles.
In addition to the tens of thousands of enthusiastic spectators lining the Stadium to the Sea course from its start at Dodger Stadium through the finish line in Santa Monica, the 2014 ASICS LA Marathon will feature nearly non-stop entertainment, and all the nutritional and medical aid a marathoner needs to run a the race of a lifetime!
“Our goal is to make the ASICS LA Marathon a must-run global event and a fantastic and memorable experience for every runner, from the professionals to the first-timers,” said Tracey Russell, CEO of LA MARATHON LLC. “Thanks to the wonderful support of the greater Los Angeles community, as well as our sponsors and partners, we’re confident that this year’s event will have all the elements to provide our runners with the best possible race experience, and one that creates great memories for years to come.”
ASICS LA Marathon sponsors and partners invest significantly in the ASICS LA Marathon participant experience in ways that embody their unique brand identities, supporting runners on their journey through training and along every mile.
· Title Partner, ASICS returns with their popular Support Your Marathoner video boards. Friends and family can supply digital inspiration to their runners participating in the ASICS LA Marathon by logging on ASICS’ website www.supportyourmarathoner.com; where video or picture based messages can be uploaded. These messages of love and support will pop up on one or several of three big screens as the runner they’ve chosen runs by! Video boards are located at:
o Mile 8: Silverlake – Griffith Park Blvd and Sunset Blvd
o Mile 17: Beverly Hills – Wilshire Blvd and Rodeo Dr
o Mile 22: Veterans’ Administration – Bonsall Ave and Eisenhower Ave
· NutriBullet, a premier partner of the ASICS LA Marathon, will host the NUTRIBULLOOZA Healthy Living Festival located on Santa Monica and Nemo at Mile 15 in West Hollywood. From 8am to 1pm, runners and spectators can enjoy live musical performances via stage and Jumbotron, DJ Spase and the NutriBullet Dancers, live percussion performances, NutriBullet and NutriBullet Swag Giveaways, dance contests, free green smoothie bars, comedy, and more!
· Nestle Waters’ Arrowhead brand, a premier partner of the ASICS LA Marathon, will keep all 25,000 runners hydrated through their 26.2 mile journey, and will activate the Arrowhead Hydration Zone in Beverly Hills.
· Official race sponsor Clif Bar, in addition to providing the official pace team, will also power two Clif Shot Energy Zones for runners along the course, at Mile 12 and at Mile 19.
· Keck Medicine of USC, also a race sponsor, will provide medical support throughout the course, as their team works together to ensure the safety of all participants. Their teams will be located at the start, finish and along the course at miles 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 and 24.
· Race sponsor Michelob Ultra will toast runners at the ASICS LA Marathon Beer Garden Finish Festival located on Santa Monica Boulevard at 2nd Street. All runners and their friends and family 21+ years of age will receive a complimentary beer if they secure a wristband with valid ID (open to the runners and their friends and family from 10:00am-2:00pm)
· Gatorade will supply Endurance Formula which will provide runners with all electrolytes they need in their popular lemon-lime flavor at every odd mile beginning at mile 3.
· UPS will provide runner gear check this year.
In addition the 2014 ASICS LA Marathon will also feature over 25 bands, more than 600 cheerleaders and four live entertainment centers along the popular Stadium to the Sea route. Among the highlights:
· NBC’s The Voice season 3 Finalist Trevin Hunte will sing the national anthem at the starting line at Dodger Stadium at approximately 7:20, just before the elite men and the recreational field start.
· As runners cross the mat at the starting line at Dodger Stadium, they will once again be pumped up by music provided by the energetic San Pedro High School Marching Band.
· As the runners reach Mile 2, at Broadway and Alpine in Chinatown, Chinatown will celebrate the ASICS LA Marathon—and the Year of the Snake—by bringing out the East Wind Foundation for Youth to provide a cultural performance of Lion Dancing with live music accompaniment. The Chinatown Entertainment Center is always very energetic, festive, and fun.
· The Los Angeles Matsuri Taiko, a premier Japanese taiko drum ensemble, will once again provide musical support for the runners near Mile 4, next to Disney Concert Hall, as they begin their ascent up one of the toughest hills of the race at 1st Street and Grand Avenue. The Japanese taiko drum ensemble has been a staple of the marathon for more than 20 years and is well-loved by its runners.
· At Mile 8, members of the Salvadoran community, who have been an integral part of the ASICS LA Marathon for 17 years, will once again bring their popular musical entertainment to greet and inspire runners as they pass Hollywood Boulevard and Prospect Avenue.
· Cheer Alley will be located at Little Santa Monica Boulevard and Moreno Drive, just outside Beverly Hills, near the start of mile 18. This year, more than 600 cheerleaders on 20 squads will compete for a $2,500 purse prize ($1,250 for first place, $750 for second place and $500 for third place). This is the fourth year of the competition. Each squad will perform their 2-minute routine, and then will line the streets to cheer on runners. Squads will be judged on overall spirit, creativity, showmanship and uniform.
· Nearly half of the marathon’s 90+ charity partners will be on the course from Mile 5 through Mile 18 showcasing their programs while also celebrating the individual triumph of each marathoner and providing entertainment.
· For the 10th consecutive year, the rock band Core will drive a pulsating musical backdrop as the runners head for the finish line along Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica.
Race weekend begins with the NutriBullet Health & Fitness Expo at the LA Convention Center, open to the public on Thursday, March 7th (10am-7pm) and Friday, March 8th (9am-5pm) at which all participants will pick up their bibs, t-shirts and goodie bags, and continues with the LA BIG 5K (titled by BIG 5 Sporting Goods) on Saturday morning at Dodger Stadium.
Live race coverage will be broadcast on KTLA beginning at 6:00 a.m. For more information, please visit www.lamarathon.com.
LA MARATHON LLC is a leading U.S. running organization dedicated to inspiring the athlete in every runner and connecting communities through health and fitness. The ASICS LA Marathon is among the largest marathons in the country with more than 25,000 participants, thousands of volunteers and hundreds of thousands of spectators. The “Stadium to the Sea” course, starting at Dodger Stadium and finishing near the Santa Monica Pier, is one of the most scenic in the world, taking runners on a tour of Los Angeles past every major landmark. The race has been named “Best Big City Race” by Runner’s World. LA MARATHON LLC will host the 2016 Olympic Team Trials for Men’s and Women’s Marathon, awarded by USA Track & Field and the U.S. Olympic Committee, which will take place in Los Angeles February 13, 2016. For more information, please visit www.lamarathon.com.