"We have an advertising relationship with the stores we link to in this post"

CBS Los Angeles and CBS 2 News Los Angeles reported on Saturday, April 14, 2012 that Congressman Brad Sherman (D – Sherman Oaks) has uncovered more than 4,000 taxpayers in LA County who are owed checks from the IRS.

The government says they have been unable to find the 4,176 people in Los Angeles County are owed about $6,722,735 in tax refunds, but at a press conference Saturday, Sherman said he was able to track down some of the recipients. Combined, the LA County residents are owed $6.7 million.

On his website http://bradsherman.house.gov/index.shtml states that Sherman, who is a CPA and tax law specialist, will also volunteer his services to help senior citizens and other local residents at a free tax clinic at Pierce College.

To help assist taxpayers collect their refund, Congressman Sherman has posted a list of all Los Angeles County residents who are owed a refund for their 2010 taxes on his web page.

See if the IRS Owes YOU Money!

For All Residents in Los Angeles County: CA LA County Undeliverable Refunds

If you see your name, call the IRS at (800) 829-1040 and ask forForm 3911 to claim your refund.  If you live outside the Los Angeles County Area (or if you did live outside the LA County area when a refund may have been sent to you), call the IRS at that same main number, (800) 829-1040, and an IRS service representative will help you.

More Helpful Refund Information:

 Taxpayers should also check with the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) for unclaimed refunds.  There are some 52,000 old refunds in California from previous years remaining at the FTB which are cumulatively worth $17 million.  The largest outstanding individual refund is worth over $39,000.

To claim a missing refund from the FTB, you must call them at (800) 338-0505 for assistance.  Through this telephone number, the FTB can initiate an investigation into a missing refund and, if applicable, issue a new refund check.

Reminder to Taxpayers:

 If you need extra time paying your taxes during these hard economic times, you have the option of filing an IRS Form 9465 to request a monthly installment plan (or apply online at http://www.irs.gov).  You can also file a California FTB Form 3561 to request an installment plan for your state taxes.

Sources: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com & http://bradsherman.house.gov

Photo credit to: http://bradsherman.house.gov

iStockphoto LP

"This post contains affiliate links and we'll earn a commission if you shop through them".

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.